Friday, June 24, 2011

Icing on the cake

What a glorious end to an utterly FLAWLESS week. I'm not sure what unforgivable things I've done to make the gods loathe me, but it must have been something horrendous.

I was taking Casey Mae outside to pee. Gram wanted to come, so we made our way down the path. We're at the end of the driveway when Casey suddenly lunges at a dog across from us. As I'm pulling her away from the street, I turn around to see Gram attempting to pull a branch off a tree. I'm about to tell her to stop doing that when I see her stumble backwards. I try to run and catch her, but it's too late. She's on her back. Her head is bleeding profusely. I don't know if she's conscious. I start yelling "GRAM, ARE YOU OK?!" She blinks. I sit her up and run into the house to get my phone. I run back outside, on the phone with my mom, in tears, asking her what to do. She tells me to stay calm and get Gram back in the house. We walk back inside, sit down, and I start wiping all the blood away. I'm crying hysterically, feeling an enormous amount of guilt.

Gram looks up at me, laughs, and simply utters "shit."

Shit indeed, Gram.

No comments: