Monday, January 24, 2011

Roads

I read one of your recent posts and it sort of bothered me-- the part about never leaving your hometown and being defined by the people you grew up with. I know it wasn't a jab at me or anything, but it was still upsetting.

Did I want to stay here? No. I, like you, had dreams too. They did not involve living at home, commuting to RIC, and working at Stop & Shop for 5+ years. This lifestyle was, of course, a choice. I won't deny that. But you also have to remember that I didn't/don't have the same advantages you did/do. Your financial situation is likely far better than my own. You were raised in a household where art was encouraged, not suppressed. You have two incredibly happy, supportive parents. My life could have been a lot worse, but it wasn't yours, either. For mostly financial reasons--I'll admit I was terrified, too--I've ended up here. And no, I haven't moved far away or studied abroad. My parents aren't footing the bill for a room in an expensive school in the city. But if you think that means I haven't grown intellectually, mentally, or emotionally, you're wrong.

And if you think that means I'll never get out of here, you're absolutely wrong. Some of us just have to take a different path.

No comments: